[Equest-users] Different cooling loads with different system types

Walson, Kristy kristy.walson at tlc-eng.com
Tue Jan 17 07:31:06 PST 2012

Thanks, Bruce.  I ended up figuring this out yesterday.  After going through everything and comparing different system types, I discovered that if I used the Equest system type "Packaged Single Zone", the software would add heating energy for the reheat used to control humidity, but did not add any additional cooling energy in order to overcome the additional heat from the reheat.  The cooling kWh was literally the exact same with or without the reheat.

I then changed my system type to "Packaged VAV", set the fan control to be constant volume, and the cooling energy responded more appropriately when I added reheat to the zones.  I hadn't run into this issue before, though I rarely use ASHRAE System Type #3 (Packaged single zone, CV, furnace), so it was a huge "aha" moment for me.  Equest doesn't operate well using the Packaged Single Zone system (similarly, it also does not operate well using the WSHP system type), so it's better to use the Packaged VAV option when your baseline is ASHRAE system #3 and you have humidity control.

I've been spreading this information like a public service announcement, but I'm sure others have run across this before.  Thanks again for your help!

Kristy M. Walson, PE, LEED AP BD+C, BEMP
Associate / Sustainability Consultant
407-487-1118