[Equest-users] LEED results way out of bounds

Busman, Michael R MBusman at chevron.com
Thu Jul 12 07:14:58 PDT 2012

Andy,

I'm new to this mailing list and I'm going to reply with some basic/dumb questions as there isn't a lot of info on how you built your model.

1.       Have you specified outdoor air in the shell?

2.       Have you specified a system capacity that may not be large enough or are you letting the program auto-size?  Have you specified a sufficient minimum supply air cfm/sq. ft.?  If your model includes a central plant, do you have a time schedule or OA temp. lockout for the chiller/boiler such that they aren't running when the air system is operating?  Many years ago in a different century, I used to use VisualDOE quite a bit.  When defining a VAV system, I would get this result if I didn't remember to specify the thermostat as reverse acting instead of proportional to allow bringing on reheat when the VAV damper was at minimum setting.  When the thermostat was left as proportional, the space temp would keep dropping at low loads or during the winter.  A very quick indicator of this was very low energy consumption for space heating.

Hope this helps or jogs something in your memory.

Mike Busman

Michael R. Busman, CEM
Lead Project Engineer II

Chevron Energy Solutions
A Division of Chevron U.S.A., Inc.
145 S. State College Blvd.
Brea, CA  92821
Direct  714-671-3561
Fax     714-671-3438
eFax   866-420-0335 (Include my Full Name followed by "CAI:MHTZ" on Cover Sheet)
Mobile 310-387-2083
mbusman at chevron.com<mailto:mbusman at chevron.com>