[Equest-users] Unexpected Custom SHGC Results

Peter Baumstark pbaumstark at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 15 17:47:48 PDT 2012

It's an interesting problem.  With this model, no matter what I do, if I
manually change the SHGC or SC (if I use the U-Value method), or if I select
different glazing types from the library (with different SHGC values), no matter
what face of the building I change it, I get an increase in overall monthly
energy use with a lower SHGC.

I built the model through a zone by activity area method that pretty closely
matches the various zones of the building.  It's a VAV with terminal reheat
system (1995 Trane Intellipaks), and I entered actual economizer, static
pressure and SAT settings.  Airflow matches as-built design drawings.

I tried using other eQUEST models I've built for other customers using similar
methods, changed the location to San Jose, and ran window cases and results were
as expected.

I'm coming to believe that one issue with the building in question is the RTUs
seem over sized relative to the use patterns and internal heat gains.  This
building previously had various lab areas, then was purchased by another
customer with lower internal heat load rates, but they kept the same RTUs.

Could it be possible that the lower heat gains from better fenestration products
could place the RTUs at a more inefficient spot on its performance curve?  I've
ran into similar issues with chilled water systems, but never looked at DOE-2
performance curves for DX units.

Pete