[Equest-users] Temperature in weather data

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Wed Jul 25 10:45:24 PDT 2012

Chris,

My attention on this issue was first raised about 15 years ago when I
was working with non-US weather data , i.e., the rest of the world, that
are all reported in 0.1 C. I've noticed since that US stations have also
moved to the use of metric units, i.e., 0.1 C for temperature. The DOE-2
weather format is still in integer F, which leads to three unfortunate
effects: (a) hourly records can be off by as much as 0.5 F, (b) clumping
of the temperature distribution, and (c) statistics such as degree-days
will be off by a percent or two compared to the original data. Now, one
can say that all this is immaterial in the bigger picture of things,
which has been the default attitude so far, but since it's really quite
simple to fix, why not get it right, i.e., doesn't it feel much better
to see the same temperatures in the DOE-2 outputs as in the original
weather data?

BTW, all the weather data that I've looked at are records of conditions
on the hour, not the average over the hour, except for solar radiation.

Joe

--
Joe Huang White Box Technologies, Inc. 346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D