[Equest-users] Packaged VAV and manual supply fan sizing

Jeremy McClanathan jmcclanathan at CDiengineers.com
Fri Jun 1 13:50:08 PDT 2012

Erik,
I'm not sure why the cooling would turn on when you manually size the fan, but another way you could turn the cooling off is to put in an availability schedule that never turns on.  That might fix your problem.  Also, you can turn on the AHU heating coil by setting the heat source to hot water in the system.
Jeremy

Jeremy McClanathan, P.E., BEMP, HFDP, LEED(r) AP BD+C
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CD3FFD.74E198F0]
4200 194th St SW, Ste 200, Lynnwood, WA 98036
P 425-672-1071 | F 425-778-8769

From: Turner, Erik [mailto:eturner at DLRGROUP.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:30 PM
To: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Cc: SEA Admin1
Subject: [Equest-users] Packaged VAV and manual supply fan sizing

eQuest experts,
I'm working on modeling a building where we'll be using a packaged VAV system for heating only (no cooling provided). I'm using the packaged VAV system in eQuest and have sized the cooling side at 0.1 tons to eliminate that side of the system. For the moment I'm waving my hands at the fact that our actual system will have a central HHW coil and eQuest is doing that at the zone level. I've managed to get rid of the cooling per my strategy, but the auto-fan sizing for supply fan is way off, which I've addressed by specifying a realistic value. When I do that, however, my cooling loads and cooling energy use (per report SS-P) go back to non-zero values.
Any thoughts on why, when I go back to resize the fan manually, I'm triggering more cooling load? I've ticked off crankcase heating even though the magnitudes of cooling seem to be over plant imposed fan heating etc...

Thanks,
Erik

Erik A. Turner
eturner at dlrgroup.com<mailto:eturner at dlrgroup.com>
DLR Group
Architecture  Engineering  Planning  Interiors
o: 206-461-6000
901 Fifth Avenue, Suite 700  Seattle, WA  98164-1006
Find us at:  dlrgroup.com<http://www.dlrgroup.com/>  |  Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/dlrgroup/>  |  Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/dlrgroup/>

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information, as well as content subject to copyright and other intellectual laws.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose, use, copy, or distribute the email message or its attachments.  If you believe you have received this email message in error, please contact the sender by reply email, immediately delete this email and destroy copies.