[Equest-users] Unmet hours comparison for DX cooling and Evaporative cooling

Uday Gorre u_k_gorre at ateindia.com
Tue Jun 12 04:32:54 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am modeling a building of 40000 sqft area (Manufacturing building) with DX
cooling . As a EEM using Indirect/Direct Evaporative cooling .

Simulation results shows that  Supply air flow -37000 cfm (DX cooling) and
21500 cfm (Evaporative cooling) at indoor design temperature of 82.5 F

Generally as per thumb rule Evaporative cooling takes almost 2 to 3 times
more supply flow than DX cooling . In my modeling it shows more than 6 times
supply flow for EVP cooling( Is this correct estimation or Anybody please
help me as per ASHRAE Fundamentals under cooled hours for these two systems
same or different for comparison of supply flow)

1)Unmet Cooling hours For DX cooling is -0.4%-37000 cfm

                                                     EVP. Cooling - 0.4%-
215000 cfm
 And

2) Unmet Cooling hours For DX cooling is -0.4%-37000 cfm

                                                     EVP. Cooling - 4%-
100000cfm   this relation gives the better comparison.

Please help me which comparison is correct one 1st  or 2nd  .

Thank you in advance

Uday...