[Equest-users] DOE22 weather processor

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Jun 19 11:48:15 PDT 2012

This is true.  Unless the DOE-2 weather processor (doewth, wth.f) has
been upgraded for DOE-2.2,  it is not Y2K compliant (nor is DOE-2.1X
itself, for that matter).  What I've been doing for years has been to
reset the years > 20XX to 19XX.  Please note that this does not affect
the contents of the weather file at all.  Other deficiencies in the
DOE-2 weather processor and format are:
  1)  fails at latitudes > 62.5 or < -62.5, i.e., above the Arctic or
below the Antarctic Circles because the routine for determining sunrise
fails.
  2)  temperatures and solar radiation are stored in integer F or
BTU/hr-ft2, wind direction in octals, wind speed in 0.1 knots, etc.,
causing round-off errors
       especially when the input weather data are in SI units.
I've made numerous changes to the DOE-2 weather processor to overcome
these limitations, while keep the file format compatible with the
original DOE-2 *.BIN format, but minor changes would also be needed in
doesim to access or read these enhancements, but I haven't made any
effort to promote such changes.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D
Moraga, CA 94556
(o) (925)388-0265 (c) (510)928-2683
www.whiteboxtechnologies.com
"Building energy simulations at your fingertips"Joe Huang