[Equest-users] Modeling a non-existing cooling system

Jeff Ross-Bain jeff at rbgb.com
Fri Mar 9 11:59:11 PST 2012

Hi All,

>From my understanding of ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G Table G3.1 (10) and the
User's Manual, if a space has no cooling system, and it is a conditioned
space (i.e. NOT semiheated), then that space must have a cooling system
modeled and it would be identical for the proposed and baseline cases. I
completely understand the logic of this requirement - in most cases.

However, I am working on a fire station where the apparatus bay (the fire
trucks) are in a 4,000+ sq ft space that is heated only, but is a
conditioned space and not a semiheated space. This space is almost half of
the building area, will not be cooled, has large overhead doors that are
mostly open, and is a place where diesel engines run.

Does anyone out there know of any exception, or interpretation, to this
modeling rule for specific cases such as a fire station where a space can be
modeled as heated only for the baseline and proposed cases? The model will
be submitted for LEED review. I can certainly model a cooling system but it
does not seem to make sense in this case.

Thanks for your input and I really appreciate this forum.

Cheers!

Jeff Ross-Bain, PE, LEED AP BD+C
Principal

404-220-8940 Office