[Equest-users] Green Roof - eQuest style

Nathan Miller nathanm at rushingco.com
Thu Mar 1 08:18:24 PST 2012

I suppose there is probably some benefit to a green roof, but I've never
tried to claim credit for it.

At least in Seattle's damp climate, when you would most benefit from the
additional insulation of a green-roof-layer (winter) is the same time of
the year the growth medium will be saturated, and likely provide you with
the least insulative value. In the summer, when you would actually want
the heat to escape, the medium will dry out (unless you are irrigating
it).

Soil has an insulative value of only around R-0.104/in (at least according
to a table in the Seattle Energy Code), so even ignoring moisture levels,
it doesn't seem like there is much benefit there.

I suppose in a heavy cooling climate the reflectivity of the plants might
get you some benefit, as well as the evaportative cooling effect if you
are irrigating. Is that where the credit would be? Is there a thermal mass
benefit?

Nathan Miller, PE, LEED AP BD+C

Mechanical Engineer/Senior Energy Analyst

O 206-285-7100 | D 206-788-4577

 <http://www.rushingco.com/> www.rushingco.com