[Equest-users] Process Load & LEED Documentation

Dahlstrom, Aaron ADahlstrom at in-posse.com
Fri Mar 2 14:54:57 PST 2012

Dan -

(wrote this up before I saw all the great responses. Will send anyway to provide the page citation you can cite with any reviewer, as needed, to justify why you would like to document your actual process loads.)

I understand from GBCI that the 25% process loads threshold is a default, where the actual process load is unknown. This applies rather clearly to Core and Shell jobs or jobs where the connected process load is unknown / unknowable.

That said, we have found on a case-by-case basis that LEED Reviewers are sympathetic to a well-reasoned and well-documented case showing the actual process loads for a facility, enabling us to use them in both the proposed and baseline. (See LEED 2009 BDC reference manual p273, Baseline Column)

If you have full fitout drawings, you may be able to document the total design electrical power intended for the facility rather easily, via the VA shown on the electrical panel schedules, plus the draw of any larger loads fed direct from the panelboards/switchgear (ie elevators, etc).

If not, does the 3.7W/sf exceed the electrical or air conditioning capacity of the actual designed building? If 3.7 W/sf is far beyond the actual power, you may end up with many un-met load hours in your proposed case. If the artificially high process load exceeds the building's capacity, you may be able to document an assumed lower amount that matches the actual Electrical or HVAC capacity of the facility.

Aaron Dahlstrom , PE, LEED(r) AP
In Posse - A subsidiary of AKF| 1500 Walnut Street, Suite 1414, Philadelphia, PA 19102
d: 215-282-6753| m: 267-507-5470| In Posse: 215-282-6800| AKF: 215-735-7290