[Equest-users] Query regarding PDEC ( Passive cooling ) simulation in eQuest

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Wed Mar 7 11:10:08 PST 2012

I beg to differ on this.  eQUEST has an evaporative cooling module.  The system that Mansi
describes is essentially a direct evaporative cooler that uses natural forces instead of a
fan to provide the air flow.  What I would do using eQUEST would be to model the building
with a direct evaporative cooler at 100% outside air, and play around with the air flow
rates to get a sense of how much cooling loads can be replaced.  To go further, you can
also develop a functional equation relating the amount of air flow to the outdoor wind
speed and temperature difference between the evap cooler outlet and the room air
temperature.  If you were working with DOE-2.1E, an earlier version of the DOE-2.2 engine
in eQUEST, you could put that in as a FUNCTION, but unfortunately DOE-2.2 doesn't accept
FUNCTIONs.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.