[Equest-users] Custom System Type

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Thu Mar 22 15:10:25 PDT 2012

Matt,

With some previous versions of DOE-2 (2.1C, D, E), there was a Function feature that
allowed users to add pieces of Fortran-like pseudo-code into the input file at designated
points in the program.  Over the years, I've seen Functions varying in complexity from
basically single-line adjustments of some input value to something  approaching a new
system-type, such as CANMET developing a Function for desiccant cooling  in the mid-90's
for an IEA project in which I was involved in the mid-90's.

I think most of the source code for Functions are still in DOE-2.2, but they have not been
updated or checked for years, and thus for now this feature has been deactivated.

There are pro's and con's for Functions.  On the pro side, it allows adventuresome
modelers like you to actually play around with the code.  On the con side, you have to
know what you're doing, with a high probability of breaking something if you don't.

In respect to VRV, I've heard that the DOE-2.2 development team has been working on this
for quite some time, and will probably be included in the next release.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D