[Equest-users] Heat Exchanger added to simple SD model with DOAS added - 3000% increase in energy for fans

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Wed Mar 28 09:33:24 PDT 2012

Jason,

Couple of things (not having looked at the file yet)...

Firstly, on the 2nd tab of the heat recovery are static pressure values
for added static (supply and exhaust) across your heat recovery heat
exchanger -- these are added to the total fan static pressure.  Further,
they are NOT reported in the SV-A report, but are on the ERV report and
are included under ventilation fan energy in the BEPS etc.

Secondly, OA-FROM-SYSTEM does not do what the name suggests.  There is
no actual air transfer.  What DOE2 really does right now is set the OA
temperature for the borrowing system equal to the return air temperature
of the lending system.  That much is fine.  The issue comes in when you
do heat recovery -- it is recovering heat based on the dummy zone which
has none of your internal heat gains.  So, the return air temperature
you are recovering from is not correct.  The exhaust air from the
borrowing system does NOT go back to the lending system (in fact there
is no air transfer as already mentioned).  So, to model heat recovery
correctly, you need to watch the dummy system exhaust air stream
properties.  Being from Canada, I am much more interested in heat
recovery than cooling.  As such, I am pretty happy to ignore the cooling
impact but that may not be the case for you.  To model heating heat
recovery correctly you have 2 options.  One is to put a dummy internal
heat gain in the dummy zone and tweak it until the exhaust air
properties meet your requirements.  I am lazier than that.  What I do is
use the frost control of the heat recovery unit tab, using the EA
preheat to fix the exhaust air stream at a set value.  It should likely
be 75F but I tend to use 72F to be conservative on the heat recovery.
So, I am preheating the exhaust air to 72F.  I use an electric coil to
do this (again, still in the 2nd tab of the heat recovery coil) -- and I
put this electric heat on a separate meter with no cost.  I also verify
that the heating on this meter is some reasonable fraction of my
lighting and equipment energy as that is what it is mimicking.

I cannot wait until eQUEST does DOAS for real but for now it is
important to understand what it is doing and workaround accordingly.

Regards,

Brian