[Equest-users] Plenum Space temperature and effect of plenum load

Uday Gorre u_k_gorre at ateindia.com
Mon May 21 03:46:00 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I am modeling a assembly factory of 40000 sq .ft. floor area with total
height of 19.6 ft and pitched roof (8 degrees). Conditioned height is 10 ft
only. When I used multi level space option in eQUEST (entered 10 ft is the
conditioned height), by default software creates three spaces (named as
conditioned space, Plenum space and under roof). After completion of
simulation, LS-C report (Building Peak Load Component)is  not included roof
conduction load (My observation was plenum and conditioned space both are at
same temperature therefore no heat transfer between these two ). How much is
the plenum space temperature I have to consider ? and also  Where this
plenum load accounted in simulation? . When I changed any modification in
the roof construction by using reflective surfaces there was no change in
supply flow (I think this was because of no reduction in load in the LS-C
report). How this roof conduction load reduction effected in the conditioned
space ?.

Do such loads (plenums) get directed straight back to the central air
handler, or do they also partially interact with the zones as well?

Can anybody please help me in this issue.

Thanks &regards

Uday Kumar