[Equest-users] Simplified Modeling

Matt Clough mclough at kme-inc.com
Wed May 23 14:19:39 PDT 2012

Ok equesters,

I imagine my problem has something to do with my understanding of thermal blocks, so I wanted to get some feedback from other modelers.

Currently, I'm performing a LEED analysis of a 166,000 f^2 school building.  I have created a space for every terminal box to accurately represent that system.  Unfortunately, this works out to one or two hundred spaces (I haven't actually counted) and a very large model that takes a lot of time to simulate.

Is it possible for me to create a model that represents each HVAC zone?  I have created a quick set of shells and air-side systems and a preliminary simulation reports almost double the energy usage as the detailed model.

If I represent the entire HVAC zone as one space (one eQuest zone), what is the best approach to represent the terminal units?  It seems to me that using the PIU option would be like having one vav box serving an enormous room.  While that's not the reality of the situation, is that good enough for simulation?

I suppose I will report back after I tinker with this some more.

Regards,
Matt Clough