[Equest-users] Building area method ASHRAE 90.1

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Wed May 23 14:53:55 PDT 2012

Patrick, the space-by-space LPD aren't mandatory requirements, so you'd be able to trade lighting power through space-by-space or BAM. Someone will have to perform the take-off either way to calculate the BAM weighted LPD for the Proposed case, so you aren't saving much time on the Proposed model. (Only saving the time to actually assign the Watts to the zone in the model.)

There will be a small time savings in Baseline model creation by not determining and entering space-by-space power usage into the model.

I agree with Bill that 90.1's wording about "...if a lighting design exists..." points me towards space-by-space if at all possible. But GBCI seems to accept both, regardless of possible BAM inaccuracies which as Nick pointed out may or may not be significant, so the main result of this gigantic thread is:

1.       Use the same method in both cases.

2.       Several people think 90.1 suggests space-by-space if the lighting system is designed.

a.       Not always (ever?) enforced/requested by GBCI.

b.      When the model is being used to inform the design or calculate incentives, this is the more accurate approach if there is variance in the spaces for control types, LPD values, and occupancy schedules.

3.       Although BAM may not provide the most accurate predictions of energy usage, it may still be "legal" for EAC1 point calculation purposes.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates