[Equest-users] Simplified Modeling

Otto Schwieterman oschwieterman at fhai.com
Fri May 25 05:51:45 PDT 2012

Matt,

There are a few things that you can do in the wizard to help the model
simulate quicker. I would start with having one HVAC system serving the
entire building. This will reduce the amount of plenums from one per
zone to one per shell. Once you are in the detailed edit mode, you can
create more systems. You will also want to make sure that you have the
Code Analysis set to none. I have not found eQUEST helpful with creating
the baseline model so there is no point in having the code specified. I
would also try to reduce the amount of shells that are created in the
model. The more shells usually results in a slower model.

Each modeler will have different opinions but I like to have the model
set-up as a space per terminal box because I think it makes the inputs
for occupancy, lighting and misc loads easier to enter. It also makes it
easier to adjust your model if the design changes and some rooms go on a
different HVAC system. You will have to decide what is the best option
for you.

Good luck,

Otto