[Equest-users] building shade effect (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Thu May 31 08:16:52 PDT 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

1% sounds about right.

This is what we are here for!! Now you can walk back to the architect and let him understand that there louvers will look pretty, but only save 1%.  Maybe the money can be saved, or do the liberal things and just find another way to spend it.

If you can, run a quick model with 100% shading to see what a 'perfect' shading case would save.

Before you talk to the architect make sure you can explain why the louvers only save 1%.
1.  You are not receiving heat in the winter when you want it.
2.  The building energy use is mostly from computers, lights and outside air. Even with 100% shading you only save X%.
3.  The outside wall area to the volume of the building is small, so the skin load (insulation, shading) is less important. (Yes it is important but has a quicker diminishing return than a smaller building.  See elephant mouse analogy.)

Like I said, this is perfect use of energy modeling.  It will show if a 'good' idea is actually a good idea or a feel good idea.

[Now when you try to nail down every since variable and account for every hour of every day for LEED, the benefits of energy modeling get a little more sketchier.]

"Is Freedom a small price to pay to stop Global Warming?"

John Eurek