[Equest-users] proposed & baseline design energy use

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu May 31 08:22:50 PDT 2012

Hi Cole,

Apologies - "thermal ties" isn't an official DOE2/eQuest term - it probably isn't in the help files...

Zones have internal partitions (walls, ceilings, floors) and those interior surfaces have a property called "next to," which you can examine by double clicking the interior surface in the component tree.  For two zones to be "thermally tied," one needs to have a (non-adiabatic) interior surface with the "next to" property calling out the other zone.

Here's a typical example of an office space which is tied thermally to a corresponding plenum space by a 131.8 ft2 interior surface using a defined ceiling construction:
[cid:image009.png at 01CD3F15.3CABD650]

Two spaces which do not have an interior surface linking them in this way will not transfer heat to one another.  When I advise to investigate and define thermal ties - I mean to review whether the spaces in context (1) have the expected interconnecting interior surfaces (if not - define them), and (2) review what that "next to" property says, and correct if necessary.

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER