[Equest-users] building shade effect

R B slv3sat at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:25:45 PDT 2012

Have not followed the thread in detail - but here are some things I have
found about windows - first off not a whole lot of saving at the
yearly-building level. If you look at the peak breakdown for a window - the
U-value related conductance is 2/3rds vs the solar radiation (1/3rd) -
atleast for the one model that I was looking at. As others have noted,
almost 40-50% of the energy consumption is from lights/plug loads.

You might want to look at just the perimeter zones and see what happens to
the energy consumption reduction in just those zones?

You can also look at just the LS-D reports to see what the % savings are.
Sometimes it helps in saying that reductions are x% of the cooling load
(without considering the HVAC inefficiencies) - which will be a higher
number.