[Equest-users] building shade effect (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Thu May 31 11:53:04 PDT 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It is all up to interpretation.  The key to interpreting the information is to first know what you want the information to say, then find the data to back it up.

If you want to sell the solar shades, focus on the reduction of solar radiation. (Truth: A small part of the whole)
If you want to talk the architect out of it, highlight that it only saves 1%. (Truth: Energy savings comes from having many small energy savings methods working together.)

1 important question - How much does the architect like the solar shade?

If the solar shades are just an option, the next step is to do a life cycle cost analysis.  You already have the energy model which is the hardest part.  If you can find the cost of the solar shades and energy costs you could do it in 20 minutes or less.

If the solar shades are his pet, it won't be too hard to find numbers telling him how wonderful they are.

*his/hers