[Equest-users] EPACT Extension

Matthew Huffman MHuffman at murphymiller.com
Tue Nov 13 09:35:13 PST 2012

Matthew,

(Let me apologize in advance to the international audience on this
board-this is going to delve in American politics.)

I'd be happy to do whatever I can, although I'm not sure what the best
path forward would be because I don't know all of the ins and outs of
the Senate.  I'm doing some quick reading right now....

This bill was introduced to the Senate Finance Committee, which
currently includes Senators Snowe and Bingaman (who are both being
replaced) and Senator Cardin (who will remain in the Senate).  Senator
Feinstein is not on the Finance Committee, but she is definitely an
advocate since she co-sponsored it.

Because this bill amends the Internal Revenue Code, I'm willing to guess
that it will need to be championed in the Finance Committee because that
includes the Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight.  The
newly-elected Senator Heinrich might be assigned to Finance, but he
would be a junior member.  Assuming Senator Cardin remains on Finance,
he would be a more senior member, and one of the original co-sponsors.

Here's a link to the current membership of the Finance Committee:

http://www.senate.gov/general/committee_membership/committee_memberships
_SSFI.htm

There will be a few changes in January, since several members have been
replaced by new Senators:

Kent Conrad (D-ND) (being replaced by Sen-Elect Heidi Heitkamp, D-ND)

Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) (being replaced by Sen-Elect Martin Heinrich, D-NM)

Olympia Snowe (R-ME) (being replaced by Sen-Elect Angus King, I-ME,
expected to caucus with D's)

Jon Kyl (R-AZ) (being replaced by Sen-Elect Jeff Flake, R-AZ)

We won't know if any of the new Senators will be assigned to Finance.
There could be a completely different committee make-up then.

I'm in Illinois and neither of my senators (Durbin-D and Kirk-R) are on
Finance, but I'm going to write them anyway and encourage them to
support this bill.

I'd suggest to anyone interested that if one of your current senators is
on Finance, you should contact them.

Although, the Senate and House have some more pressing issues ahead of
them in the lame duck session (cough cough fiscal cliff) this
legislation is important to our industry and our country and we should
voice our support in whatever way we see fit.

Best regards,

Matt Huffman, LEED AP

Manager, Energy Services

600 W. Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60607

24 hour service hotline 312.427.8900-Direct 312.435.8218-Cell
312.520.5386

Email mhuffman at murphymiller.com <mailto:mhuffman at murphymiller.com>

Minimize your costs associated with the ownership of HVAC mechanical
systems