[Equest-users] Calibrated model in Canada - Weather files?

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Mon Nov 19 10:53:56 PST 2012

I can provide very current weather data for Canadian (or other country) locations by
processing the Integrated Surface Hourly (ISH) data base maintained by the National
Climatic Data Center (NCDC).  The ISH is an archive of weather station reports from around
the world under a WMO (World Metereological Organization) collaborative agreement.  What I
do is to convert this raw
data to local time, fill in any gaps, delete subhourly records, and most importantly,
calculate the solar radiation using a procedure that blends together an empirical solar
model that I developed with the new ASHRAE Clear Sky Model.  The outputs are
simulation-ready weather files in a number of formats -  TMY2, TMY3, BINM for DOE-2, and
EPW for EnergyPlus.

For a rough glance of station availability, please look at the Google Earth map of
stations for 2010:
      http://www.whiteboxtechnologies.com/WB-weather/google-select.php
Station availability for other years will be similar, slightly increasing for later years,
and decreasing for earlier years, with a noticeable drop-off for years before 2000.

The Web site is still under construction, so for the moment, please e-mail me if you have
any questions or are interested in acquiring some of these weather files.  I charge $50
per station-year, with discounts for multiple years or locations.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D