[Equest-users] ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G Proposed Model

Bruce Easterbrook bruce5 at bellnet.ca
Mon Oct 8 07:03:38 PDT 2012

I would not include the large unit.  It is a specific
purpose/intermittent unit.  I would however investigate how it is going
to be used.  Normally you try to segregate the truck loading areas from
the rest of the plant to limit the area exposed to the exhaust fumes and
to make it easier to remove them.  Sometimes though, making large items,
this is not possible.  Typically these units are connected to CO/CO2
sensors and also have an exhaust fan.  If you use the MUA unit to blow
the exhaust fumes out it won't work when the doors are closed.  This is
why an exhaust fan works better with the MUA unit.  The way the loading
normally happens is the trailer is backed in first and the tractor comes
in last, the door is closed and the truck is shut off for the loading
period.  That puts all the truck exhaust on the ceiling by the loading
doors.  That is where you put the exhaust fans.  The MUA unit is placed
across from the exhaust to push the truck exhaust to the exhaust fans.
The unit only runs until the sensor is satisfied.  As Bill mentioned you
don't have to bring that MUA up to plant temperature either, that would
depend on where you are dumping it and how much air there is.  You may
not have to heat it at all.  I have used systems which bring in air
unheated and use fabric tubes to spread it at ceiling level in the hot
stratified air next to the ceiling.
I don't consider these events in the general system for heating the
building but you do have to consider the event and how to mitigate it's
impact on the plant and meet all the safety rules. You generally have
unit heaters near large roll up doors as they are leaky and not as well
insulated as the rest of the building. This comes in handy when you open
the doors or when you have 10 tons of cold steel sitting in the loading
bay.  Don't forget floor drains.
Bruce Easterbrook P.Eng.
Abode Engineering