[Equest-users] window addition to adiabatic wall

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Oct 19 07:24:51 PDT 2012

Per my first suggestion - you do not want to model exterior perimeter walls as interior surfaces, adiabatic or otherwise.  Interior surfaces of any sort will  not interact with exterior conditions & produce envelope loads.

I recommend first searching for 'courtyard' and/or 'cutting method' in the mailing list archives for a few discussions & pictures on how to use the wizards to create exterior walls & windows for courtyards.  Leveraging the wizards is by far the easiest approach.

If you are in detailed mode and don't want to return, or are otherwise uncomfortable with some of the approximations the cutting approach can lead to, you can also directly replace the courtyard "partitions" with exterior walls of appropriate construction & identical geometry, then define windows in those walls as you've already done.  Here's a pictorial guide showing the reverse action (changing exterior surface --> interior surface) - this should prove helpful if you are new to such edits.  Same procedure:  http://onebuilding.org/wiki/doku.php/convert_an_exterior_surface_to_an_interior_surface_detailed

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER