[Equest-users] Proposed building - Safety factors

Yazan Abukhait yazan142us at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 00:29:03 PDT 2012

Good day,

I used to do modeling using different softwares, lately HAP, and due to
some limitations on these softwares I converted to eQuest. So I'm a new
eQuest user and would like to share some thoughts and get some opinions if
possible.

When referring to ASHRAE 90.1-2007, appendix G, and as everyone knows, the
standard requires you to oversize cooing equipments by 15% and the heating
equipments by 25%, the cause and effect of these values were discussed many
times before and I think you know the idea behind it, so no problem with
this. Now, when you move to your proposed building the standard doesn't
advice on the safety factors to be used, shall they be 15 & 25% as that for
the baseline, or shall you start from another point using different (i.e.
lower) safety factors? My standpoint from that was and still: " You can
start with a 10% safety factor for both cooling and heating loads- for the
proposed building- then have a look at the simulation results, if the unmet
load hours for both models are less than 300 and the difference between
them is no more than 50, then this is a fully compliant modeling, on the
other hand if one of the two mentioned conditions was violated then you'll
have -normally - to look for the source of the problem then down size your
baseline equipment or probably oversize your proposed building equipment(s)
capacity.

What do you think of that? would you start with a 10% for the proposed
building and start from their, or would you not apply and safety factors at
all to the proposed building and then start from that point?

Looking for your thought...