[Equest-users] Building Walls

Dahlstrom, Aaron ADahlstrom at in-posse.com
Mon Sep 10 14:18:49 PDT 2012

Peter -

We've noticed the identical issue. Another way of stating it - the sequence of layers input for the baseline and the proposed should EXCLUDE contributions from air film. eQUEST adds the interior air film as a separate entry under the Layers tab.

[cid:image006.jpg at 01CD8F78.57E7A9E0]

ASHRAE's regulations for baseline constructions include the contribution of the exterior air film at a specified windspeed. As far as I can tell, this is how the u-value displayed on the LV-D report is calculated. (Report says "includes exterior air film").

However, we have noticed that the value displayed inside eQUEST as "calculated u-value" does not match the u-value from the LV-D. My theory is that the item shown in eQUEST includes the interior air film but not the exterior air film. (From Vol 2 dictionary, under CONSTRUCTION:U-VALUE - "For exterior surfaces, equals the overall conductance of the surface including the inside air film but excluding the outside air film.")

[cid:image008.jpg at 01CD8F78.57E7A9E0]

I'm just learning about this issue, so any wisdom from more experienced folks would be welcome!

Aaron

Aaron Dahlstrom , PE, LEED(r) AP
In Posse - A subsidiary of AKF| 1500 Walnut Street, Suite 1414, Philadelphia, PA 19102
d: 215-282-6753| m: | In Posse: 215-282-6800| AKF: 215-735-7290