[Equest-users] Can equest be used for calculating ETTV

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Fri Sep 14 11:33:18 PDT 2012

Ery, others,

There's a deficiency in the method described in your answer because the heat flows
reported in LOADS, i.e., LS-E by space and LS-F for the whole building,  are calculated at
the constant LOADS temperature, and not the actual zone (space) temperature that is
derived in SYSTEMS. This does not affect the temperature-independent heat flows (solar and
internal gains), but has a big effect on the conductive loads through the envelope,
particularly in cooling climates.  About 17 years ago, Ellen Franconi (now at RMI) and I
(then at LBNL :-)) developed a method in DOE-2.1E using User Functions to take the hourly
component loads from LOADS and correct them for the true zone temperature in SYSTEMS, and
then aggregate them to produce building-level component loads.  The report is available at
http://www.whiteboxtechnologies.com/download_complds_rpts.htm .  Unfortunately, User
Functions have not been hooked up in DOE-2.2 yet, so this method for now can be applied
just to DOE-2.1E models.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.