[Equest-users] Infra -red heating garage

Stormy L. Shanks shankssl at kjww.com
Fri Sep 14 11:36:03 PDT 2012

Hi, Hector - I recently did this for a LEED submission and had to do an exceptional calculation. There isn't a method of modeling infrared heating directly in eQUEST. I modeled it as electrical baseboard heat and assigned a sub-meter to report the kWh used by the baseboard system in the space. Once I figured out the energy usage in kWh used by the baseboard, I converted it to natural gas therms and then divided by the average efficiency of the infrared system. I submitted a narrative explaining this, and the LEED reviewer accepted the calculation method. I'm sure there are more accurate (and more time-consuming) methods for modeling it, though.

Stormy Shanks, PE
Mechanical Engineer
www.kjww.com<http://www.kjww.com/>