[Equest-users] DHW savings not for LEED?

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Tue Sep 25 08:36:50 PDT 2012

The CaGBC adopted a "low flow" fixture credit for
SWH based on the old CBIP program.  The original
intent was that low flow lavatories and showers
(lower than the building code minimum) would
receive credit.  Unfortunately this was
interpreted by many to include process SHW loads
like janitor sinks (filling a bucket uses just as
much hot water whether the fixture is low flow or
not).  As a result, SHW savings are often
overstated in LEED Canada submissions.

I am hopeful this loop hole will be closed at
some point but so far I haven't seen any movement in that direction.