[Equest-users] CHW loop process load

James Hess JHess at tmecorp.com
Sun Apr 7 20:12:05 PDT 2013

Ok, here’s how we specifically do this.

On the Chiller Basic Specifications tab, we define an electric screw chiller with efficiency of EIR = 0.2386, which equates to ~ 0.839 kW/ton, or 4.4 COP + 5% markup for losses.

[cid:image009.jpg at 01CE33DC.EEAEAE10]

On the Condenser tab, be sure to define the condenser as air cooled --> just simplifies things since you don’t have to deal with cooling tower and tower water pump.

[cid:image011.jpg at 01CE33DC.EEAEAE10]

On the Performance Curves tab, notice the two curves that we created and assigned --> Chiller Constant EIR and Chiller Constant ERI-fPLR.  The 1st curve makes efficiency constant as a function of ambient (condenser) temperature while the 2nd curve makes efficiency constant as a function of part load.  We don’t care about the cooling capacity curve.

[cid:image013.jpg at 01CE33DC.EEAEAE10]

These two curves are included in the attached file --> Constant Efficiency eQuest Chiller Curves.inp

You can import these into your file via File, Import File … then they will be available for you to assign to the chiller.

Do all of that and then run the model, and then check the PSC report to verify.

The image below (i.e. PSC report) shows the annual chiller load to be 2080.8 MBtu, or 173,400 ton-hrs (i.e. converted).  The annual electricity usage is 145,469 kWh.

Therefore, the annual average efficiency is 145,469 kWh / 173,400 ton-hrs, or 0.839 kWh/ton-hr.

In my opinion, this meets the DESv2.0 requirements for modeling a chiller plant with the stipulated efficiency number, which includes all plant users (i.e. chillers, pumps, and cooling tower).

Hope this helps!  :)

[cid:image014.jpg at 01CE33DC.EEAEAE10]

Regards,

JAH