[Equest-users] LEED Review Comment for Appendix A constructions

Cam Fitzgerald cam at energyopportunities.com
Fri Apr 12 04:45:11 PDT 2013

Good morning, Pasha,

Appendix G primarily provides very specific guidance for building the
appropriate Baseline model to use as a benchmark to calculate the projected
energy savings for your Proposed building as designed. Most of the guidance
in Table G3.1 for the Proposed model indicates it must be modeled as
designed. This is where appendix A comes in for the Proposed constructions.
U-values  may only be calculated using the inverse of the sum of the
R-values if each layer is continuous (e.g. uninterrupted by other materials
such as steel studs or joists). Appendix A provides tables with the
effective U-values for various common heterogeneous constructions. Depending
on the construction, the overall U-value for the assembly can vary
significantly from the U-value calculated by summing the U-value of the
major components. The Appendix A assembly performance must be used for the
Proposed constructions to accurately reflect performance of the building
envelope. Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Cam Fitzgerald

Energy Opportunities/a 7group company