[Equest-users] LEED Review Comment for Appendix A constructions

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Apr 15 10:05:11 PDT 2013

Paul and others:

In regards to LPD calcs, the spreadsheet I have a copy of does permit typing in the margins (white cells adjacent to and above/below the tables), should you feel compelled to provide extra narrative explanations in big, bold, red text.

Still, as long as USGBC is taking on this degree of prescribing how models are to be documented, I think the onus is implicitly on them to revise/improve the spreadsheet for clarity’s sake – not us... in that light I wouldn’t spend extra time improving their spreadsheet for them until they call for additional clarification through review commentary.  If requested through review commentary, I’ll consider re-working their spreadsheet for them as needed for clarity, but if they have locked it up in some fashion that this is overly difficult for us then they’ve shot themselves in the foot and will just have to deal with long, exhaustive narrative response essays (queue the pipe organ and evil cackling)!

In the meantime, new EAp2 spreadsheet or not, I would not feel compelled to re-zone a developed model to  distinguish each and every space with different LPD, unless you intended to do that in the first place (in which case, power to ya!).

You should be able to transpose the same space area and LPD tallies in the EAp2 spreadsheet that the original LPD calculations demonstrate, uploaded as supporting documentation.  The zoning pattern you determined appropriate to the models (remember 90.1 explicitly permits flexibility on the modeler’s part here) drives the separate task of applying these LPD’s to the models in a fashion that makes sense.  Whatever degree of detail you choose to invest your efforts in this task (there are always multiple right answers), it’s probably more important that you are careful to apply the Proposed & Baseline LPD’s to each model in an identical/consistent fashion.

Regards,

~Nick

PS:  Actually, the “Instructions” tab of the new spreadsheet specifically calls out separately uploaded LPD calcs as something which can theoretically supplant the “Lighting” tab inputs.  I’ve done this in the past with the previous EAp2 spreadsheet, simply making a short reference to the other supporting documentation in the input cells:
[cid:image002.png at 01CE39CF.71D9B670]
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER