[Equest-users] defining the windows for natural ventilation

Jason Quinn jason.e.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 12:37:37 PDT 2013

eQuest does calculate light through exterior windows into a zone and reduce
electrical light usage. It uses a split flux method that when compared to
Radiance can over/under estimate the effect but it is a great first order
tool (my opinion). Be aware that it only has light into the first zone with
exterior windows - other zones will only "feel" the light as conductive
heat transfer through the matched zone boundaries. There is a sunspace
module in DOE2 that might work if you need to bring daylight more into
central zones but I never sorted that out.

eQuest is much faster for daylighting studies than E+ and OpenStudio right
now. I've switched and miss the ease of eQuest on daylight harvesting. Once
my ruby is up to scratch I'll automate it similar to eQuest (or maybe
someone else will) but until that point assigning sensor locations and
setting up daylight harvesting in E+/OS is much more time consuming. E+ can
model using similar methods to eQuest and can use interior windows to allow
light to pass from an exterior zone to the next zone to the interior.

Jason Quinn
+64 21 1846 911