[Equest-users] LEED Core & Shell questions

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Tue Aug 6 10:20:18 PDT 2013

I've been on several proven provider calls where this has been discussed
with GBCI, and in general, their feeling is:

1)  If there are no tenant drawings available, even if the design
*intent* is FCUs with high efficiency ECM motors (or something to that
effect), unless the core and shell scope actually shows specification
and installation of the FCUs, the proposed model should use App G
systems

2)  If there are tenant drawings available (particularly if they happen
to cover a large portion of the CS building), then GBCI is OK using your
proposed systems in the proposed model.

However, in all of our projects that have gone thru the proven provider
program, all of them were Core and Shell projects with proposed central
chilled water systems, floor-by-floor VAV AHUs, and future tenant VAV
boxes.  In this case, we were designing everything except for the VAV
boxes, so it was really only a question of whether we had to use
parallel FP terminals with 0.33 W / cfm (App G), or if we could use our
design intent which was series VAV low temp FP terminals with higher
efficiency motors.

In your case, you don't have an air distribution system designed, so it
is probably a little more complicated.  Your tenants could install
anything from FCUs to VAV AHUS with VAV boxes.

If you have a complete set of tenant drawings, or you require tenants to
use a specific HVAC system via a legally binding lease, then you will
probably be OK using your design intent for the proposed model (YMMV).

You should definitely document this for EAp2/EAc1.

GHT Limited
James Hansen, P.E., LEED AP
Senior Associate
1010 N. Glebe Road, Suite 200