[Equest-users] Input function with daylight factors for accurate daylighting

Kent Beason kbeason at estesmcclure.com
Wed Aug 14 14:19:10 PDT 2013

The following article is a good read since it is related:
http://www.nrel.gov/sustainable_nrel/pdfs/47522.pdf.  Some background info
is given with regard to the shortfalls of DOE2 daylighting vs backward
raytracing aka Radiance-based tools also, so I thought I'd post it for
reference.  It also gives a good play-by-play in context of the NREL RSF
case study, which incorporated the use of SPOT, an Excel-based tool which
runs Radiance in the background.

That said, IESVE currently would fit better in your process obviously since
it's already being used in the project as you say.  Similarly, as is
described for SPOT in the article, exporting a dimming schedule from IES is
simple from its Vista module once the simulation is done, and then imported
into eQuest.  Apparently lots of other schedules were created during the RSF
design with software tools better suited for various analyses but the
central energy model was crunched by eQuest I believe using those imported
schedules.  SPOT may still be of use as it is supposed to find the optimal
sensor placement, but any sensor placement will need to be consistent with
actual lighting layout/circuits anyways.  Anyone familiar with SPOT might be
able to contribute.

Kent Beason

office - 903 581 2291

cell - 830 609 8904