[Equest-users] Changing words with global parameters / parametric runs?

J R john.reed.other at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 09:07:01 PST 2013

Hi Everybody,
First off, as a relatively new eQUEST user, the past discussions in the
archives has been immensely helpful in troubleshooting issues, so thanks to
everybody for responding to questions from eQUEST rookies like myself.
 Now, for the new questions:

I've developed a model in detailed mode that I would like to make some
parametric runs for to run alternative scenarios. For numeric inputs, I
haven't run into any issues, but I'm wondering if there's a way to change
words using global parameters too. Specifically, I'd like to add an
enthalpy wheel in the parametric run by adjusting the yes/no option under
my AHU's heat recovery 1 tab: "ERV device installed" Yes/No dropdown. These
are the steps I've taken.

   - Create new global parameter: "Enthalpy Wheel On/Off"
      - Parameter type: "New Symbol"
      - Parameter value: "No"
   - Right click device Installed dropdown: User Input Expression - I tried
   two different expressions:
      - #SI(#PA("Enthalpy Wheel On/Off"),"SYSTEM","RECOVER-EXHAUST")
      - Error Message: Expression Evaluation Error: BDL Symbol 'No' not
         found
      - #parameter("Enthalpy Wheel On/Off")
         - Invalid symbol assignment (symbol table index = 0)
      - If the above error were solved, my next step would be to create a
   parametric run, component type: symbolic global parameter, and change the
   value to "yes".

I have no doubt that I'm using the wrong language for what I'm trying to
accomplish, but don't know what other approach to take.  Any advice would
be greatly appreciated.

Also, on a more general note, does anybody have a good resource they could
share that is more or less an eQUEST detailed mode guide? I've found the
intro, wizard, and DOE2 guides on the eQUEST site, but it seems like there
is a lot of functionality with the program in detailed mode that isn't
really explained anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John