[Equest-users] Replacing baseboard with heat pump results in higher space heating

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Mon Feb 18 18:58:05 PST 2013

Yes, it is rough.  Where does one begin?  I generally like to look at
the results in the .SIM file.  First look at the SV-A reports - one
model has no outside air, the other has 10000 cfm outdoor air.

Then look at the SS-D report.  The one has a peak heating of 339
KBTU/hr and the other has 1200 KBTU/hr.   This could be due to adding
outdoor air to the other.

If I still don't have an inkling, I will add some hourly reports to
compare the total supply cfm vs outdoor air ratio at different hours
of the year.  I didn't have to do that in this case.

And if all else fails, I would then ask for help from the egroup.

>I submitted this earlier and was asked to add the .INP files to the
>.PD2 files I attached.  Below is the original message repeated.
>

>I'm doing a rough energy model using mostly Equest defaults and
>wanted to replace the existing baseboard electric heating with a
>heat pump.  The resulting space heating increased from 57,000 kWh to
>147,000 kWh (including the HP Supp.).  From the baseline model I
>went into the wizard and added the dx heating and cooling and
>aligned the EER/COP with state compliant levels
>(10.7/3.2).  Attached are the .PD2 files for baseline and HP
>models.  Many thanks.
>

>Terry Mapes | Mechanical Engineer
>ACS Professional Staffing Contractor
>USDOE Bonneville Power Administration
>2316 Eastgate St., Suite 160 | Walla Walla, WA | 99362
>office 509-527-6231 | cell 509-970-5715 | fax 509-527-6210

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E1W7
Tel. 416-203-7465