[Equest-users] PVVT vs PVAVS

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Feb 28 06:12:20 PST 2013

Jeremy,

First thing I would do is look at the BEPU reports and compare space heating, space cooling, vent fans and unmet hours. If there is a difference in unmet hours, investigate in the SS-R reports. Then compare the monthly energy breakdown for the above categories as shown in the PS-E reports. Also look at SV-A to see differences in default system sizing if you didn't enter the same values manually.

These are the differences I notice in the default settings:
PVAVS has slightly higher fan power. However, I suspect differences in fan energy will probably be more of a function of cooling control differences between PVAVS and PVVT.
Fan control is "Inlet" for PVAVS and "Variable Speed" for PVVT.
Different performance curves.

I'm not sure if PVAVS assigns zone reheat automatically, but that is a big difference between the system types.
PVVT is going to be in heating/cooling mode based on the control zone, so you should expect unmet hours in multiple zones assigned to the system.
It is not surprising that PVVT is giving you less energy than PVAVS for these reasons.

Regards,
Bill

[Senior Energy Engineer 28Jun2012]<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>