[Equest-users] existing buildings/alterations

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Jul 25 11:32:17 PDT 2013

Agreed.  Take note there are a couple nuances between what's written in 90.1 and what's required by the LEED reviewership.  I believe they draw a line in the sand where if more than 50% of a project is "retrofit" vs. NC by square footage, then rotations go away.

I just had 3 LEED projects wrap up at silver/gold where in the initial submission I used thoroughly documented prescriptive baseline envelopes and 4 rotations.  The preliminary review commentary required changing the envelopes to remove the rotations and match reality instead.  The previous reality was (mostly) uninsulated grout filled block walls, single pane windows without film treatments, and zero wall insulation =D!

As a net result, each of these projects jumped way up in unanticipated modeling credits.  It was a good day.

Outside the constraints of LEED, the closer your baseline models can reflect existing realities, the better and more informative the results of your models become for a retrofit analysis.

Regards,

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.