[Equest-users] Fw: ERV on OA-From-System Comments from Jeff Hirsch

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 3 16:53:37 PDT 2013

Stormy:

In the past when I have modeled just an DOAS that did not have any heating or
cooling capacity with and ERV was to add an ERV to each zone system that the
DOAS fed.  I used the same kw/cfm that the DOAS system had.  So I chopped up the
DOAS with it's ERV into smaller ERV's on each system.  This seemed to work good.

The problem with the project that I am working on now, is that the DOAS feeds
chilled beams.  The DOAS chilled water coil and heating coil is sized in the
design with the assumption that and ERV is conditioning the outside air.  The
DOAS has to dehumidify the air because the chilled beams cannot remove moisture
as there is no provision for condensate removal.  If I remove the ERV from the
DOAS, the chilled and hot water coils are not  large enough to condition the OA
before it reaches the ERV on the chilled beams and I can't add a chilled or hot
water coil to the ERV's on the chilled beams.  So I loose the additional
heat/cool capacity designed into the DOAS.

Confusing.

Regards,

 Paul Diglio, CEM, CBCP

87 Fairmont Avenue