[Equest-users] co-generation(gas-turbine generator) question !

DongEun Kim equested at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 07:35:02 PDT 2013

Thank you very much Bill and James for your insights !

What I still can't understand is...
when I modeled the gas turbine generator, I specified the HIR(I put 2.5 as
the actual CHP plant data suggests 40% of electric generation
efficiency) and "Frac Input Recoverable from Exhaust" at the 'Loop
attachment.' And I chose "track thermal load(this building uses District
Hot Water from a offsite CHP plant for its heating, and I am applying Opt2
of DES guideline, directly applying generator in the model)."
The fraction of total thermal recovery(report PS-A) to the total
fuel consumed by generator matches the fraction I put  in the "Frac Input
Recoverable from Exhaust."  However, the  fraction of total electricity
generated(report PS-C) to the total fuel is about 4% (even though I put 2.5
for the HIR)..which is too small even  considering the non-linear
relationship between GTG electrical and thermal output. Also, I applied a
flat curve for the generator per DES guideline, Monitoring. There even were
some engineers who advised me to put  0.25 for the HIR for the generator to
get the 40% of electricity generation to the total fuel input.

Anyhow, I followed your leads, and tried to size the generator to have the
capacity(KW) that exactly matches the building thermal(heating)
peak load(PS-H). Then I made generator electric meter mode to be "run at
maximum" to achieve higher efficiency for elec generation as well as
thermal recovery efficiency.
Well..luckily..  It gives me the right  thermal recovery efficiency(total
heat recovered/total fuel input) and electricity generation
efficiency(total electricity generation/total fuel input) as a result.
And I don't think it will be problematic for the generator to 'run at
maximum' because I have to re-calculate the electricity and the heat supply
to the building according to the DES guideline App.D anyway.

What do you think about the idea of running the appropriately sized
generator at "maximum" mode to achieve high, steady elec generation
efficiency?

I need your insightful remarks again :)

Thank you in advance!

Kim