[Equest-users] Baseline Fan power calculation

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Mon Mar 25 09:17:20 PDT 2013

Thanks Bill,

I verified that the references you gave lead to the result of the
calculation in the spreadsheet, but if the theoretical calculation below
has any validity at all, the assumed fan efficiency in 90.1 is about
8%.  I used a fan static pressure rise of .5 in. H2O.

So, this fan efficiency seems a little low to me.

You said "Fan efficiency is from ASHRAE 90.1, Table 10.8 as described in
G3.1.2.9." but Table 10.8 is Fan Motor efficiency, which is about 85%.
I have no problem with that, but to use the theoretical fan power
equation I need the Fan efficiency.  Do you have any idea what fan
efficiency is assumed in 90.1?

I also notice that the fan power calculation in 90.1 does not include a
pressure rise component, which I find odd.  Is the pressure rise across
the fan assumed somewhere?  From the checks described above, it appears
to be about .5 in. H2O.  Does this seem reasonable?

Your thoughts?

Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
+1 916 966 9060
FAX +1 916 966 9068