[Equest-users] Building area method ASHRAE 90.1

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Sat May 4 13:43:06 PDT 2013

To bring up a topic from a year ago (below) I have a question about
using the Space by Space approach with a multi-family building. There is
a BAM Category for Multi-Family, but not a Space by Space category for
multi-family (except for dormitories).

Is there a work-around for space by space with multi-family?

I apologize if this has been covered before.

On a working Saturday.

--
Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
+1 916 966 9060

*Nick Caton*
     ncaton at smithboucher.com
          <mailto:equest-users%40lists.onebuilding.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BEquest-users%5D%20Building%20area%20method%20ASHRAE%2090.1&In-Reply-To=%3CECDF361A89E5FA479BE7E64C658B52050D8E2006%40SANDBINC4.sbi.smithboucher.com%3E>

     /Wed May 23 17:57:42 PDT 2012/

    <http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/2012-May/011648.html>
    <http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/2012-May/011643.html>
    <http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/2012-May/date.html#11649>
    [ thread ]
    <http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/2012-May/thread.html#11649>
    [ subject ]
    <http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/2012-May/subject.html#11649>
    [ author ]
    <http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/2012-May/author.html#11649>

David's summary looks pretty good to me!

I want to emphasis a great point that came up along the way: Space by
space can result in more LEED points by 'padding the baseline,' sure...
But "real" savings result from closely reviewing the proposed design,
which in turn generates opportunities to identify specific means of
design improvement.

I'll share a related strategy. Consider: Engaging the lighting designer
and improving design doesn't require tallying the space-by-space totals.
If I recognize significant improvements can be made with revised
layouts, fixture reselection, and/or tweaked control schemes, I have
found it VERY productive to simply share with the lighting designer (and
design team leaders, if necessary) posed scenarios: "If you can reduce
your installed watts by just 10%, the LEED models will earn 2 more LEED
points." "If you define your astronomical timeswitch to shut off
non-critical lighting after 2AM, the project earns a LEED point." Such
'carrot on a stick' proposals normally get the intended results with
minimal friction, engage the designers in a positive way ("Hey, I just
earned the easiest LEED point ever!") and performing the exploratory
simulations to compose these proposals can be a lot less effort on the
modeler relative to a standard-focused space-by-space analysis (I'm
thinking of big buildings).

 >/From another perspective: Some of us lighting designers are sensitive
creatures =D... We may have a tough exterior, but deep inside it hurts
my poor fragile feelings if someone claims "Standard XYZ states
bla-bla-bla and therefore you suck at your job." This advice applies to
designers of any discipline, of course. If you want to pursue improving
design with a standards-centric base, be mindful of this possibility.
Making everyone happy to be working with an energy modeler can be quite
a challenge, but the results are rewarding. / Hope that was
illuminating! ~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB
<http://lists.onebuilding.org/listinfo.cgi/equest-users-onebuilding.org>] NICK
CATON, P.E. SENIOR ENGINEER Smith & Boucher Engineers 25501 west valley
parkway, suite 200 olathe, ks 66061 direct 913.344.0036 fax 913.345.0617
www.smithboucher.com From: equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org

[mailto:equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
Behalf Of David Eldridge Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:54 PM To:
eQuest Users Subject: Re: [Equest-users] Building area method ASHRAE 90.1

Patrick, the space-by-space LPD aren't mandatory requirements, so you'd
be able to trade lighting power through space-by-space or BAM. Someone
will have to perform the take-off either way to calculate the BAM
weighted LPD for the Proposed case, so you aren't saving much time on
the Proposed model. (Only saving the time to actually assign the Watts
to the zone in the model.) There will be a small time savings in
Baseline model creation by not determining and entering space-by-space
power usage into the model. I agree with Bill that 90.1's wording about
"...if a lighting design exists..." points me towards space-by-space if
at all possible. But GBCI seems to accept both, regardless of possible
BAM inaccuracies which as Nick pointed out may or may not be
significant, so the main result of this gigantic thread is:

1. Use the same method in both cases.

2. Several people think 90.1 suggests space-by-space if the lighting
system is designed.
     a. Not always (ever?) enforced/requested by GBCI.
     b. When the model is being used to inform the design or calculate
incentives, this is the more accurate approach if there is variance in
the spaces for control types, LPD values, and occupancy schedules.

3. Although BAM may not provide the most accurate predictions of energy
usage, it may still be "legal" for EAC1 point calculation purposes.

David David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates

From: equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
at lists.onebuilding.org
<http://lists.onebuilding.org/listinfo.cgi/equest-users-onebuilding.org>> [mailto:equest-users-bounces
at lists.onebuilding.org
<http://lists.onebuilding.org/listinfo.cgi/equest-users-onebuilding.org>] On
Behalf Of Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr. Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:41 PM
To: Bishop, Bill Cc: eQuest Users; Oscar B.

Subject: Re: [Equest-users] Building area method ASHRAE 90.1 referencing
this comment: "The only obvious case for using the Building Area Method
to determine modeled LPD is the case that Nick mentioned where lighting
neither exists nor is specified." or when the lighting
designer/electrical engineer has higher lighting densities that exceed
one (or more) of the space-by-space maximum allowable lpds but
compensates for it by having lower lpds in other spaces such that the
whole building lpd does not exceed the maximum allowable by the whole
building method.

On 5/23/12 7:45 AM, Bishop, Bill wrote: Building Area and Space-by-Space
are not methods for designing lighting systems. They are prescriptive
requirements for demonstrating lighting energy compliance in 90.1. The
LPD allowances in Tables 9.5.1 and 9.6.1 do not need to be complied with
if using energy modeling to demonstrate compliance for 90.1 and for
LEED. (Only the Mandatory Provisions of 9.4 need to be met for the
lighting design.) Energy modelers only need to know the lighting power
and space use categorizations of the design as shown on the drawings
(along with schedules and controls), not the process used to design it
(which typically considers light levels in footcandles or lux).

I think that if a lighting system has been designed, a strong argument
can be made that the space-by-space method needs to be used in both the
proposed and baseline cases, and that lighting power needs to be entered
individually for each space/zone. "If construction documents are
complete, the proposed building lighting system power is modeled as
shown on the design documents." (ASHRAE 90.1 User's Manual, p. G-17)
"The LPD for the proposed design is taken from the design documents for
the building. The LPD specified in the models must correspond to the
spaces within each thermal block." (ASHRAE 90.1 User's Manual, p. 11-14
and also p. G-18) The only obvious case for using the Building Area
Method to determine modeled LPD is the case that Nick mentioned where
lighting neither exists nor is specified. As Maria Karpman, Nick and
Patrick have mentioned, you are likely to show higher energy savings
using the Space-by-Space method. Beyond that, using Space-by-Space
allows you to give valuable feedback to the design team, which I would
argue is a responsibility of energy modelers. It is routine for me to
point out areas of potential improvement of the lighting design in every
project I model, based on the allowances in Table 9.6.1. "Yes, Ms.
Architect, that is a lovely looking light fixture, but 2.6 W/ft2 of
lounge lighting is more than twice the baseline allowance." I don't know
how you give helpful feedback if you are just comparing two
building-averaged lighting power densities. Regards, Bill
-<http://lists.onebuilding.org/listinfo.cgi/equest-users-onebuilding.org>