[Equest-users] Thermal storage tank doesn't work below zero degree

WangWendy silver_mirror at msn.com
Thu May 30 23:55:13 PDT 2013

Hello everyone

This problem came across when I was modelling an ice-storage system. Hourly report said the charge and discharge load are both zero, which means the tank doesn’t work under the setting condition. The supposed entering temperature of the tank is -6℃ and is leaving at -3℃. Freeze temp is below -10℃. In order to run the simulation, I have to raise the charge/discharge temperature as well as the loop temperature of charge loop up above 0℃. When the charge temperature is above or  equal to zero, the tank does work. However it changes the performance of double duty chillers under ice-making mode, since the curve of chiller is different with different leaving temperature, leading to a bigger assigned load of double duty chiller than the max charge load and less accurate results.

Does anyone have any thoughts how to solve this problem? Making storage tank work below 0℃ at setting temperature? Or is this the limit of eQuest software yet to be solved?

Many thanks

Wendy