[Equest-users] VFD in chillers

James Hess JHess at tmecorp.com
Wed May 8 11:52:15 PDT 2013

Your option is to request 20 data points from the chiller manufacturer, for various temperatures and loads, then let eQuest curve fit that data, so that you have custom performance curves which represent the VFD operation.

You could use more data than 20 points and do the curve fits yourself in Excel, and then transfer the coefficients back to eQuest.  If you research curve fits on this forum, there are some excellent posts covering this.

I think 20 points to represent chiller performance is adequate.

My experience is that if a firm has a good relationship with chiller vendors (i.e. works on several projects with chillers), the chiller vendors should work with you to provide the requested data.  The chiller vendors will want their chillers shown in the best possible light with regards to energy savings, LEED, etc.  The best way to do that is via custom performance curves which more accurately reflect chiller performance.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JAH

James A. Hess, PE, CEM, BEMP