[Equest-users] Building Footprint - Snap & Grid

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu May 9 11:31:10 PDT 2013

When referencing a CAD drawing:

¡¤         I never use the grid (turn off snap to grid and turn off grid view ¨C resolution doesn¡¯t matter)

¡¤         I set snap to polygon vertices 1st, and CAD 2nd  most of the time.  I¡¯ll swap this priority (and/or adjust resolution) on an as-needed basis, then switch back.  Goal being to minimize the chance of inadvertently snapping to an errant CAD endpoint where I really mean to snap to a zone/perimeter vertex.

¡¤         Grid resolution depends mostly on the complexity of the reference.  Lots of tight corners (close vertices) requires a higher resolution. If you are struggling to get snap to find an endpoint, you probably need to increase resolution.  Resolution can also be too-high however, requiring you to zoom way in to get the snap to recognize.

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers