[Equest-users] Cooling Increase DCV and ERV Measures

Daniel Knapp danielk at arborus.ca
Fri May 31 07:18:54 PDT 2013

I don't know if this is relevant to your situation, but we recently ran into a problem where turning on DCV increased the OA intake for a VAV system.  The model is at an early design stage for core and shell and the OA hasn't been specified yet so we were using eQuest OA autosizing.  The OA without DCV was sized to meet the critical zone requirement at the full design supply flow rate.  When using DCV, the OA is sized to meed the critical zone on an hour-by-hour basis, and as the supply flow rate drops, the outdoor air requirement can go up if the OA fraction for the critical zone approaches 1 leading to an increase in overall OA.  Lesson learned: don't rely on eQuest to autosize the OA as it does the OA sizing against the full design supply flow rate which may not be the worst case condition.

Cheers,
Dan

—
Daniel Knapp, PhD, P Phys, LEED® AP O+M
danielk at arborus.ca

Arborus Consulting
Energy Strategies for the Built Environment
www.arborus.ca
76 Chamberlain Avenue
Ottawa, ON, K1S 1V9
Phone: (613) 234-7178 ext. 113