[Equest-users] Building rotation around the compass

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Nov 13 14:05:56 PST 2013

Hi Jeff,

My loose understanding is the line of "rotations or not" is drawn by whether it's considered by LEED a "major renovation."

*         100% new construction - do the rotations

*         100% existing renovation - no rotations

*         Combination of new construction and existing renovation - do the rotations if the new construction (by footprint) exceeds the existing building areas  (>50% new construction).  For that case, the building orientation is considered an existing condition.  Note these building areas are tallied under other credit templates, so if the figures are close be sure to coordinate your interpretation and figures on this point with others on your LEED team.

That's the impression I've received between reviewers for a few projects anyway - I'm not certain whether this rule is actually in writing somewhere to cite.  Perhaps someone else can chime in and inform/correct me on this?

For future reference, queries not specific to eQuest like this might reach more folks with answers to contribute via the [bldg.-sim] mailing list ;).

Best regards,

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.