[Equest-users] natural ventilation scenario and LEED

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Fri Nov 22 12:59:15 PST 2013

Check the MPRs, but I don’t believe there is any exclusion for buildings that have permanent openings or that aren’t conditioned. It does have to be regularly occupied. I don’t see why the building wouldn’t be eligible for LEED…whether it meets the prerequisites is another question.

You would still have to be ventilated to satisfy EQP1. The designer will have to be able to state that the design complies with ASHRAE 62.1 or other more stringent local code. I don’t believe there is a requirement in ASHRAE 62.1 for the system to be active, but you’d have to at either comply either prescriptively or by providing some calculation that shows the openings will be adequate to drive the required OA volumes. Depending on the depth/width/height of the warehouse this may actually be your biggest hurdle, more than EAP2.

The definition of “building” in 90.1 allows for “a structure wholly or partially  enclosed…affording shelter to persons, animals, or property” so I think 90.1 would still apply prescriptively for service water heating, electric distribution, manufacturing equipment as applicable, and lighting.

ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G may be difficult in a couple of ways pertaining to the modeling:

1.       90.1-2007 excludes the envelope requirements where there are minimum heating and cooling capacity thresholds – you probably won’t hit either threshold, therefore you don’t have a prescriptive envelope. When you get to the G3.1 table, there isn’t an “out” that says to use the proposed case envelope in the baseline…unlike…

2.       …HVAC section says to substitute a heating and cooling system based on what the baseline system is required to have, and there is a baseline requirement to model a baseline HVAC system even if the proposed doesn’t have HVAC equipment. Subsequently there is a requirement that says where there is no proposed system to use the baseline system….so this one has a compliance option, even if it seems like the logical procedure would be to not have HVAC systems in the model.

Lighting would seem to work fine at least, so you have one of the three main scopes that will work normally, and hopefully show some good daylighting effectivness with all of these openings in the roof. DHW could also be modeled according to the normal rules.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates